Dear Town Resident,
This message is for all residents of the Town of La Veta. It is intended to educate you the homeowner and anyone living in your home as to what should not be flushed down the toilets. We have been experiencing an alarming number of clogged sewer lines recently because of foreign material being flushed down the toilets or poured down drains. The sewer system is designed to handle water, human waste and tissue paper only.
Examples of what should not be flushed down toilets or poured down drains are as follows:
- · Cloth rags or towels
- · Baby wipes, Toilet wipes, Towelettes, disinfecting wipes, or cloth wipes of any kind (even if the container indicates that they are “flushable”)
- · Paper (other than toilet paper/tissue)
- · Medications (Prescription, or over-the-counter)
- · Feminine hygiene products of any kind
- · Beauty products, Q-Tips, dental floss
- · Plastics of any kind
All of the above items mentioned should be thrown out with the trash or disposed of properly. Remember… only water, human waste and tissue paper should be flushed down toilets. Clogged pumps lead to sewer backups which can back up into homes and are expensive to clean and repair. This cost is borne by you – the sewer rate payer.